Thursday, December 8, 2011

awakenings

I spend a lot of time with my mom. She is, admittedly, my best friend. Despite flaws, our differences and arguments, she is the one person who understands my sensitive heart and doesn't hesitate to tell me I'm spending way too much time in my head.

So when she told me the other day that my approach to living my single life isn't what she thinks is "proactive", I was a little thrown off. She later recanted, stating she didn't mean it how it sounded, but the mark had been left. To fill you in, I told her that I am not spending my life hoping and wishing for someone to come along and sweep me off my feet. That I can't live life and make decisions based on a non-existent person that I think *might* enter my life one day. That I need to live my life for myself and if someone worthy enough, I will make changes as I need to. Apparently that's not the right approach. When I attempted to get some clarification on why it wasn't, I couldn't get a clear answer. Am I not dating enough (note, I don't always share when I go on dates b/c too many family members means too many explanations and if they arent worth more than 1 date, they arent worth mentioning)? What else is it I'm supposed to be doing? Despite pushing for an answer, I got none. Only an apology and that I'm living my life great (uh....).

So it makes my insecure, hopelessly lost brain question, am I living my life so that I will never meet anyone? If I am, what am I supposed to be doing differently? Will I ever meet anyone? The past weeks have been filled with friends getting engaged or finding new love or bragging about how wonderful the love they have is. It's a bit disheartening at times, but I try to keep my chin up and remind myself I did the same thing with my ex when things were great. And that I'm ok being single most of the time. Yes, I'd love to meet someone but should I live my life waiting for that moment??? Anticipating, over analyzing it all, looking at all men thinking are they it? NO!!

So where do I go from here? I need to get out of my head sometimes, and this is one of those times.

No comments: